The internet is back with a brand new invention, one that involves stopping everything for a moment and pretending that you’re a non-sentient being immune to whatever nonsense is currently going on in the world.
The Mannequin Challenge, which has recently become a thing. Indeed, it’s now starting to overtake long political rants as the thing you’re probably seeing most of on your social media feed. The trend apparently started with high school kids who may have taken their teacher’s supplications to ‘please, can you all just sit still’ a little too literally. It infiltrated the adult world over the weekend; the hashtag #mannequinchallenge has been mentioned 2.3m times in the past week on Twitter. Everyone from Adele to Ellen DeGeneres the New York Giants has given it a go. Destiny’s Child even briefly reunited briefly to film their take. And Hillary Clinton’s team got in on the (non)action Tuesday morning.
So what exactly is the Mannequin Challenge? The clue is in the name. A group of people freeze in mid-action like mannequins while someone goes around filming them. The only thing moving in the shot should be the camera. Then you put a soundtrack on it, stick it online, and watch the likes rack up. Black Beatles by Rae Sremmurd is one of the more popular options for soundtracks. It’s a perfect song for the challenge because there’s a quiet build up and then, around 25 seconds in, the beat drops and … nothing happens.
But after the beat dropped in these top 7 videos the internet went crazy.
7. Garth Brooks and his entire band take on the challenge live in concert
6. The Beetles’s very own Paul McCartney decided to give it a go too.
— Paul McCartney (@PaulMcCartney) November 10, 2016
5. About to perform the hit song ‘Black Beatles’ in concert, Rae Sremmurd decided why not try this challenge with their fans.
4. Encouraging everyone to go out and vote, Hillary Clinton and her team make a “mannequin challenge” video while on a plane.
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) November 8, 2016
3. While taking a break from rehearsal Adele and her band made a western theme mannequin challenge video.
2. Everyone on the red carpet from Erykah Badu, Tamar Braxton, Cedric Yarbrough, to Darius McCrary, Luenell Campbell, Claire Sulmers and even the photographers participated in the BET Soul Train Awards.
- Just before giving birth to their baby girl, Dream, Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian and the ‘Dream Team’ owned the viral challenge with their delivery video.
Copyright © 2016 theguardian.com. All rights reserved.