Actor Zac Efron was reportedly rushed to the hospital before Christmas for treatment of a typhoid-like infection.
Efron was in Papua New Guinea filming his upcoming Quibi documentary series “Killing Zac Efron” when he contracted a “form of typhoid or similar bacterial infection,” according to The Sunday Telegraph.
The 32-year-old actor was airlifted to an Australian airport for treatment and was allowed to return home to the U.S. on Christmas Eve, according to the newspaper.
Representatives for both Efron and Quibi did not immediately return requests for comment.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi, bacteria that cause typhoid and paratyphoid fever, are typically found in parts of the world “where water and food may be unsafe and sanitation is poor,” including South Asia.
Symptoms include a fever as high as 103 or 104, weakness, stomach pain, headache, diarrhea or constipation, cough and loss of appetite.
Dr. Glenn McKay from the Medical Rescue Group confirmed to the Telegraph that a U.S. citizen in his 30s had been admitted to St. Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital in Spring Hill, Australia, in stable condition, but did not reveal the patient’s name.
The Medical Rescue Group did not immediately return the Daily News’ request for comment.
“Killing Zac Efron,” which was announced last month, sees the actor head “deep into the jungles of a remote, dangerous island” for 21 days “to carve his own name in expedition history … with nothing but basic gear, a guide partner and a will to survive,” according to Quibi.
“I tend to thrive under extreme circumstances and seek out opportunities that challenge me on every level,” Efron said in a statement at the time. “I am excited to explore any uncharted territory and discover what unexpected adventure awaits!”
(c)2019 New York Daily News
Visit New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.